Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Just Work Hard and Stayed Focus


We had an interesting conversation the other day with our 20 year old daughter. She was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the hoops she was jumping through and the hurdles she was facing while trying to enroll in a new career training program. After she finished telling me the most recent crisis, I could tell she was on the verge of tears. So, instead of focusing on a successful outcome, I complimented her hard work and explained that I was pretty sure anything worth having or doing would present itself exactly like that; complicated, exasperating with potential failure. She took a deep breath and thanked me for reminding her of that. I did not have to try to fix anything or solve whatever was going on, I just empathized and told her that we believed in her and her ability to forge on through this. And that seemed to be all she really wanted to hear!

No comments: