Tuesday, November 4, 2008

21 - Not a Drinking Day

I remember turning 21, most folks seem to. My older roommate, and by older I mean already 21, convinced me to go get a drink with her @ midnight. I did, one drink, that was it. The bartender said it was on the house. I really didn't feel like drinking. So we went home and had ice cream. This seems to be the same experience I hear in session from a lot of newly turned 21 year old's. By the time you turn 21, you have already had too much to drink that you don't feel like drinking...a lot of this might be due to the fact that the pre-frontal cortex is starting to kick in and logic and reason make over drinking a poor choice, now easily ruled out. The age of 21 is now getting some press as to whether it's the right age or not. Growing up in my Italian American household, my family always thought that this country was pretty uptight about drinking, making it more attractive to underage drinkers. This philosophy was right for me, maybe not right for all. Something to think about...

No comments: