Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Toll of Technology

My husband and I are getting ready to head to the mountains of Tennessee for a few days of much needed R&R. We have some property there which enables us to leave all of our hectic demands and escape temporarily from the bad financial news that seems to be flooding all of us right now. I remember one of the first times we took this trip with two of our children. Our middle daughter was about 15 then and she was pretty sure she did not want to leave her social circle to hide out for two weeks in the mountains. Then when she realized that her cell phone would not work on the property, she became downright miserable. Two weeks without being able to check in constantly with her friends seemed like a huge price to pay for family bonding time. But, it was only after two or three days there that I noticed a profound change in her whole demeanor. I had to study her for a few minutes to understand what I was really seeing. I even pulled my husband aside and asked him to look at her face to see if he noticed anything different. We agreed and I am still shocked at how much more relaxed our daughter was once she got away from the incessant social pull that is endemic to her technologically savvy age group. She looked calm and peaceful. Now, granted, there weren't many demands on any of us while camping out in the mountains but I will never forget the marked difference we saw in her. She still says that trip was one of her best family getaways and I believe it was because of the "social contact reprieve" she was forced to experience. Never underestimate the toll this newfound ability to stay connected 24/7 is having on them and us...

No comments: