Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Letting Go: It Can Sting

I've been working on editing a video of Barbara and I speaking before a group of parents about to drop off their kids at College this Fall. Just watching it reminds me how much it really hurt many of those parents at the idea of saying Good-bye. There were many tear stained faces in the room. Although, I am sure over the years these parents had said to themselves, "I can't wait 'till they go to college." Especially during any of those more distressing or disappointing times. My father has said to me that the whole parenting job is rather odd set-up, you live with someone 24/7 for 18 years and then, if your lucky, you spend about 1 or 2 years total together over the rest of their lives. What a truly potentially, painful set-up in theory. Barbara and I talk about 'what are you truly letting go of?' and for us, what it comes down to, is you are letting go of what was, which is already gone. And Warning!!! if you don't let go of what was, there is limited or no space for what's coming. Your children are always your children, but really, who do you want to be loving and attending to the most? The adult child in front of you or the one you remember? Even @ 42 years old, I know I am my parents daughter, but I am happy to report that despite all the fond memories of my childhood, they seem to be right here with me now...maybe like most of us good parents they experience their parental stings out of my sight.

No comments: