Monday, July 21, 2008

Is he Alive and Still in Spain?

Annette and I spend a lot of time at workshops talking about the teenage brain. The recent research on their neurological development has proved to be so helpful to both parents and professionals. As the parent of a teenager, I remind myself often that whatever he is going through is normal but I can still get exasperated at times. Our son is in Spain right now on a trip with his high school, immersed in the language and the culture for one month. Before he left, I reminded him that it would help reduce my fear level considerably if he kept in touch. I knew that the school he is attending there makes their computers available to the visiting students every afternoon. I did not expect to hear from him daily but this has been ridiculous. He has been gone for 8 days now and we have only received the minimum of information from him. After not hearing anything from him for at least 4 days, we receive an email this morning that literally has 12 words in it. He states that "lots is happening" but does not let us know what any of that could be. I understand that his prefrontal cortex is not working at full tilt yet but really. Doesn't he understand that his parents across the ocean would require or hope for more than that? So, just understand from someone who lectures on this information on a regular basis, they can still drive you crazy.

No comments: